INDIANAPOLIS — An IMPD investigation is underway after an east side shooting left one man dead.
On May 27 around 2 a.m., police responded to the 10100 block of Tinton Court, which is just northeast of East 42nd Street and North Mitthoeffer Road.
Police found a man with gunshot wounds, who was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Marion County Coroner's Office identified the deceased as 41-year-old Dashawn Roscoe.
Detectives learned there was a fight between the victim and another person, which led to the shooting. Detectives identified and interviewed the suspect, who was then released pending further investigation and a review by the Marion County Prosecutor's Office.
On June 13, IMPD confirmed the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office charged 32-year-old Tonika Miller with reckless homicide and two counts of neglect of a dependent.
Police arrested Miller Friday, June 10 on her outstanding warrant associated with the incident.
According to court documents, Miller told officers she had accidentally shot Roscoe. She allegedly told them the two had been in a relationship for about five years and had a 3-year-old and 9-month-old.
According to court documents, the couple had put the children to bed around 10:30 p.m. on May 26. They then went to the apartment complex playground to have sex. When asked about leaving the baby and 3-year-old at home alone, Miller allegedly said that they felt they were not too far away and wouldn't be gone very long.
After having sex, Miller told police that she and Roscoe got into an argument about cheating on him. She said she left and when she came back, Roscoe pushed her. Miller, who said she was holding her gun, allegedly told officers she turned to hit Roscoe and her hand hit his shoulder and then the gun went off, hitting him in the face.
Miller's initial court hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, June 15.
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact Detective Michael McWhorter at the IMPD Homicide Office at 317-327-3475 or e-mail him at Michael.McWhorter2@indy.gov.
What other people are reading:
- 33 things to know about this year's Indianapolis 500
- Gunman's final 90 minutes fuel questions about police delays
- Husband of Uvalde teacher killed in school shooting has died from heart attack, their family says
- Here's how to watch the 106th Running of the Indianapolis 500
- 4 juveniles apprehended for allegedly pointing gun at Avon school bus
- Only 8 of 17 Indy Parks pools to open next week
- State Police teaches prevention methods, public awareness in active shooter training
- Expert shares tips for saving on gas ahead of holiday weekend travel