DEKALB COUNTY, Ind. — An Indiana State Police trooper was killed Friday while trying to slow a pursuit on Interstate 69 north of Fort Wayne.
Troopers were working at the scene of weather-related crashes on I-69 in DeKalb County around 4:30 p.m. when other officers became involved in a police pursuit on the interstate.
As the chase neared Master Trooper James R. Bailey's location, he attempted to deploy stop sticks to help end the pursuit. At that time, police said, Bailey was struck by the suspect vehicle.
The 50-year-old trooper was treated at the scene for his injuries before he was taken to a Fort Wayne hospital, where he died from his injuries.
Bailey, a 15 1/2-year veteran of ISP who lived in Auburn, is survived by his wife and their son and daughter.
The suspect, identified as 42-year-old Terry Dewaine Sands II of Marion, was taken into custody and is being held in the DeKalb County Jail on a preliminary charge of resisting law enforcement causing death of a law enforcement officer.
The Indiana Fallen Heroes Foundation has established an official memorial fund to honor Master Trooper Bailey.
Donations can be made online here under the "Master Trooper James R. Bailey" section. Donations can also be made on Venmo by sending to @indiana-fallen-heroes. If donating by check, please make the check payable to the Indiana Fallen Heroes Foundation, and in the notes section reference Trooper James Bailey. Checks can be mailed to 1710 S. 10th Street, Noblesville, IN 46060.
Visitation for Master Trooper Bailey will be held from 2 to 8 p.m. on Friday, March 10, at County Line Church of God, located at 7716 N. County Line Rd. E. in Auburn, Indiana.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Saturday, March 11, at the Garrett High School Gymnasium, located at 801 E. Houston St. in Garrett, Indiana.
Bailey will be buried at Calvary Cemetery in Garrett, following a procession from the funeral. The procession will depart Garrett High School on the east side. The route is as follows:
- Second Street south to Warfield
- Warfield west to S.R. 327 (Randolph Street) northbound
- S.R. 327 (Randolph Street) northbound to S.R. 8
- S.R. 8 east through Auburn to Cedar Street (Stop at Dekalb County Courthouse)
- South on Cedar Street to Ensley Street
- Ensley Street southwest to Wayne Street
- Wayne Street southwest to C.R. 427
- C.R. 427 to westbound C.R. 11A
- C.R. 11A to C.R. 56 westbound
- C.R. 56 to northbound S.R. 327
- S.R. 327 to Dennis Street
- Dennis Street westbound to Ijams Street
- Ijams Street to Houston Street (Final 10-42 in front of St. Joseph Catholic Church 300 W. Houston Street Garrett, IN)
- Houston Street westbound to Hamsher Street
- Hamsher Street southbound to Calvary Cemetery
Memorial donations can be made to DeKalb Humane Society or Cancer Services of Northeast Indiana.
Gov. Eric Holcomb has directed flags to be flown at half-staff in the state on Saturday to honor and remember Bailey.