INDIANAPOLIS — On Friday night, crews will close the eastbound lanes of Interstate 465 on Indianapolis’ southwest side as part of INDOT’s I-69 Finish Line project. The section will go from I-70 to I-65.
The temporary closure will allow crews to make various improvements, including new travel lanes.
Here is the timeline for the eastbound closures on Friday:
- Friday, June 2 at approximately 8 p.m. — Motorists traveling south on I-465 approaching the Sam Jones Expressway and I-70 will encounter a reduction from five to four open lanes.
- Around 9 p.m. — Southbound I-465 will be reduced to one lane. This reduction may take a few hours.
- Between 9 p.m. on Friday, June 2 and 1 a.m. on Saturday, June 3 — Crews will gradually add barriers at points where there is no longer access, such as on-ramps along I-465 EB. Stay alert and use caution during barrier installation.
- By 2 a.m. Saturday, the eastbound lanes of I-465 should be fully closed with traffic detoured to I-70.
These ramps will also be closed during the eastbound closure:
- I-70 eastbound and westbound to I-465 westbound
- Kentucky Avenue/State Road 67 to/from I-465 eastbound
- Mann Road to I-465 eastbound
- Harding Street/State Road 37 to/from I-465 eastbound
- East Street/U.S. 31 to/from I-465 eastbound
Work on the eastbound lanes is expected to last until June 21.
INDOT said the best detour to get back onto I-465 will be following I-70 eastbound to I-65 southbound at the South Split.
Drivers in the area are hoping they don’t run into a detour dilemma this weekend.
“It’s going to be wild. I don’t know. We are going to have to see tomorrow,” Conner Bane said. “I don’t know exactly what’s going to be open or where else they are doing construction, so it’s going to be interesting.”
Once work is completed in the eastbound lanes, crews will jump over to the other side and work on the westbound lanes. That will last from July 7 to July 29.
You can find a video explaining the closures and detours here.
INDOT said these closures are necessary to allow crews to complete work related to added lane capacity, perform necessary road surface upgrades and place under-pavement pipework to improve drainage.