x
Breaking News
More () »

13 WTHR Indianapolis | Indianapolis Local News & Weather

Contestant dies after completing 'Wipeout' obstacle course

A male contestant on the TBS reboot of "Wipeout" died Wednesday after going into cardiac arrest.
Credit: Getty
INGLEWOOD, CA TBS logo seen as Jacquees arrives at 2018 iHeartRadio Music Awards on TBS, TNT and truTV. (Photo by Rachel Murray/Getty Images)

A contestant on the reboot of the "Wipeout" game show has died after completing the obstacle course.

Two people close to the production said the man had completed the course on the show's set in Santa Clarita, California, when he needed medical attention.

The man in his 30s was declared dead at a hospital shortly before 7 p.m. Wednesday, Los Angeles County coroner's spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said. The cause of death has not been released, and the man's name was being withheld until relatives could be notified.

ET reports that a male contestant on the TBS show died Wednesday after going into cardiac arrest. He was first treated by "Wipeout" on-site medical staff before being taken to a local hospital. 

"We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family," TBS said in a statement. 

Production for the reality series paused on Thursday and Friday with plans to resume during the week after Thanksgiving. 

Fox News reports that all contestants "undergo medical examinations" before participating in the obstacle course.

A team of two paramedics, two set medics, a paramedic coordinator and a safety producer is also present at every show. 

The original program aired on ABC from 2008-2014. TBS announced they were going to reboot the series back in April. The cable channel has not yet set an air date in 2021. 

RELATED: Stranger shocks mom of 4 with brand new shoes after chance shopping encounter

RELATED: 'Coming 2 America' to debut on Amazon Prime in March 2021

The contestant on “Wipeout” died after completing the game show's obstacle course, authorities and sources close to the production said Friday.

The reality competition show, in which contestants navigate an extreme obstacle course featuring giant balls and pitfalls that often result in spectacular crashes, is being rebooted by TBS and production company Endemol Shine North America.

The man had been helped by on-site medical staff until paramedics arrived and took him to the hospital. The people spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

The show stopped production Thursday and Friday and has a planned week off next week, they said. Its contestants undergo a medical exam before competing.

Endemol Shine released a statement saying, “We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and our thoughts are with them at this time.”

TBS announced in April that the show would be returning, and it said in September said its new hosts would be John Cena and Nicole Byer. No premiere date had been set yet.

The death was first reported by TMZ.

AP contributed.