VIGO, Ind. (WTHR) – A 19-year-old from Terre Haute has been arrested for DUI and leaving the scene of accident Saturday morning.
State police and the Vigo County Sheriff's Department responded to a crash on West Lombardi Drive, just west of State Road 63.
Police identified the driver as Ian Wilson, 19, of Terre Haute.
Police say Wilson was driving a Dodge Ram pickup truck west on Lombardi Drive when he left the roadway, striking a tree, causing his pickup to go airborne.
The truck landed on the passenger's side, slid into a large tree and then came to an abrupt stop.
Homeowners near the accident scene told police that moments after the crash, Wilson climbed out of the vehicle and started walking away from the accident scene.
Wilson was found about half a mile away, on foot, by Senior Trooper Ted Robertson and the Vigo County Sheriff’s Department.
Further investigation revealed that Wilson had a blood alcohol content of .22%.
Wilson was injured from the accident and transported to Regional Hospital for medical care.
Wilson was arrested and taken to the Vigo County Jail where he is currently being held on bond.
Wilson faces the following charges:
- Driving While Intoxicated, Class A Misdemeanor
- Operating a Vehicle While Intoxicated Endangering a Person, Class C Misdemeanor
- Leaving the Scene of a Personal Injury Accident, Class A Misdemeanor
- Operating a Vehicle without Financial Responsibility, Class C Misdemeanor
- Minor Consumption, Class C Misdemeanor
- Open Alcohol Container, Class B Infraction