INDIANAPOLIS — National Hispanic Heritage Month kicks off Sept. 15 — the anniversary of independence for Latin American countries such as Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua.
The 30-day period from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15 celebrates the history, culture and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America.
Events will be held right here in central Indiana as part of the celebration.
Looking for a way to take part in the festivities? Here's a list of events happening in central Indiana during Hispanic Heritage Month.
Central Indiana Hispanic Heritage Month events:
(NOTE: If you would like to suggest an event to add to the list below, email details to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Saturday, Sept. 17
- Fiesta del Otoño: The City of Bloomington Community and Family Resources Department will host Fiesta del Otoño on Saturday, September 17 from 10:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Switchyard Park Pavilion.
Friday, Sept. 16
- Gala Mexicana: This year's event will be held from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m at Plaza Urbana Far Eastside Community Works located at 3827 N Mitthoefer Rd Indianapolis IN 46235.
Saturday, Sept. 17
- Latino Heritage Festival: The International Marketplace Coalition will host the inaugural Latino Heritage Festival from 1 to 5 p.m. The festival will feature performances from local cultural groups, food trucks, nonprofit and Latino vendors and cultural galleries.
- Indy Latina Artists - "A VER" Art Exhibition Debut: In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, this exhibition will celebrate the styles and perspectives of artists in our Indy Latino community.
- FIESTA Indianapolis: This event brings thousands of Hoosiers to downtown Indianapolis for a day of music, dancing, food, children’s activities, a health and wellness fair, and community service booths.
Tuesday, Sept. 20
- The Hispanic Heritage Book Fair, hosted by the Indianapolis Colts, will include "shopping" time for books, individual reading and a player-narrated read along for students at Ernie Pyle School #90. Students will have the opportunity to pick any two Scholastic books, free of charge.
Thursday, Sept. 22
- The Hispanic Heritage Football Camp is for Ernie Pyle students in grades 2-6. Led by former Colt and current Colts Youth Football Commissioner Mike Prior, the camp will include six position-specific stations where kids can learn the fundamental skills required for each position. These non-contact stations will provide lessons to increase knowledge, language and technique of football positioning.
Saturday, Oct. 1
- Festival Herencia Hispana y Folklor 2022: A festival showcasing talent, art and music at the spotlight community center on 62nd Street.
Friday, Oct. 7
- "VIVA" Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration Party at the Skyline Club: This party will have delicious food and Latin music with DJ LED.
Friday, Oct. 14
- The 2022 Indiana Latino Expo: The expo will take place on Oct. 14-15 at Window to World (former Lafayette Square Mall)