INDIANAPOLIS — More than 40 residents were displaced after a fire at an east Indianapolis senior living facility Tuesday morning.
The fire at Crown Pointe Senior Living Community, located at 7365 E. 16th St., was reported just after midnight. The Indianapolis Fire Department said an investigation revealed the fire started in the dining hall on the first floor at the location of a gas fireplace.
When first responders arrived, there was fire and smoke showing from the second floor, and an evacuation was in progress. The facility's sprinkler system had activated.
IFD and Lawrence Fire Department crews brought the fire under control in roughly 30 minutes.
IFD said 44 people were evacuated from the building without any injuries. Residents were placed on IndyGo buses for heated shelter and moved to a nearby senior living facility.
The Marion County Health Department responded to the scene due to the kitchen being impacted. The Indianapolis Department of Public Works was also dispatched due to slick areas from salt.
What other people are reading:
- Noblesville family raising money for their infant's kidney transplant
- 'Grateful to be alive': Rabbi in Texas hostage situation posts update after escaping synagogue
- Here's how to get 4 free COVID tests starting Wednesday
- Fans prepare to donate for #BettyWhiteChallenge
- Tips to keep your pets safe in the winter weather
- Indianapolis doctor: 'Get the test that you can get' when searching for at-home COVID tests
- Lost dog back in Michigan after being found 330 miles away in Ohio
- FDA approves new drug for cats that may improve their quality of life