Zionsville building fire ruled accidental

WTHR Photo
Published:
Updated:

ZIONSVILLE, Ind. (WTHR) - A fire that damaged three businesses and three apartments on Main Street in Zionsville earlier this month has been ruled accidental.

On Wednesday, investigators revealed they believe the fire started in the basement of Noah Grant's Grill House and Oyster Bar restaurant on the northwest corner of Main & Oak streets around 4 a.m. on September 18. They say an exothermic reaction spontaneously ignited some rags in a trash can.

One of the affected apartments was occupied. Firefighters say the woman living in that apartment called 911 when the fire started.

One firefighter suffered heat-related injuries. Officials say the firefighter was taken to St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis but couldn't immediately their condition. No other injuries were reported.

Mayor Tim Haak said after the fire the community was "very fortunate" to not have had more injuries in such an intense fire. He also thanked the surrounding communities for their offers of aid during the fire.