UPDATE: Baby born month early in family car is home from hospital

(Photo provided by Carrie Hood)

INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) — Eyewitness News introduced Bo and Carrie Hood last month when their son Corbin was born in their car last month as Bo raced to the hospital.

Corbin arrived a month early, but is out of the hospital and doing well now.

Another plus: the owner of Doctor Detail Mobile Detailing saw our earlier story and offered to clean the family's car.

Mom says it's been steam cleaned and has "character" now.

Carrie shared a photo of the family's new addition with Eyewitness News Monday.

On that March day, "I had let my husband know my water just broke. We need to go to the hospital," Carrie said. "And then it was game on."

"It was last-minute. We've got to go," Bo added. "Daughter Piper gets in the back seat. Get Carrie in the front seat. I get in and said, 'let's go.'"

They had to make it to Community South in Greenwood from Plainfield. Time and Carrie's contractions were getting tight.

Bo said his mind started to race and so did his car, as if I-465 were the Indy 500.

"I put my flashers on and I just went," he explained. "I pushed the car pretty far and I want to apologize to anyone I cut off or went around or made made and I hope people understand."

When they got off the exit at U.S. 31, things got serious.

"Her contractions," Bo said. "All of a sudden, the time I thought we had gets down to be like a minute. Then it gets to be 30 seconds."

"That's when I knew the contractions were too close together and I was not going to make it," Carrie said. "I told him we are having a baby in a car 'cause it's happening now.'"

"When I got to Banta Road," Bo added, "she says 'he's here!' And I said 'no he's not!' And she said, 'no he's coming! He's out!'"

After two pushes, the delivery was done, just as Bo pulled into a parking lot and called 911.

But their baby wasn't crying right away.

"He wasn't breathing," Carrie said. "His dad saw that the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck."

"I got the umbilical cord wrapped off his neck and he started gurgling a little bit," Bo said.

Their son was breathing now but the Hoods needed that hospital.

After some confusion with the 911 dispatcher on their location, the family decided they couldn't wait.

So Bo sped off again and made it to the ER in five minutes.

"He went in to let them know that my wife just delivered a baby. They're in the car. And then I think I had about 20 nurses come out and greet me," Carrie said. "And of course it was a surprise for them!"

This roadside delivery was a success.

Corbin Dallas Hood was a healthy preemie and received care in the NICU.

"He was 5 pounds, 15 ounces," Carrie said.

And Carrie's 8-year-old daughter, Piper, who witnessed it all from backseat, announced her plan about eventual motherhood.

"Whenever I have children, I'm going to adopt."

Filed under: