SWAT situation with armed man ends peacefully

Police at the scene of a SWAT standoff at the Gateway Motel on the west side of Indianapolis.
SWAT standoff ends peacefully
SWAT called out to Indianapolis motel
SWAT called to Indianapolis motel
SWAT called to Indianapolis motel

INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) - Police still don’t know exactly what happened inside a room at the Gateway Motel Wednesday afternoon as an armed man held police at bay and his girlfriend hostage for more than four hours.

They’re thankful the stand-off ended peacefully and no one was hurt.

It was a sometimes-volatile and potentially deadly situation inside the west side motel that brought out IMPD SWAT and hostage negotiators as they spent several hours trying to convince an armed and wanted man to release his girlfriend and come out peacefully

Police said it all started when parole officers came to arrest the 44-year-old for violating parole for a robbery conviction.

“He did make a threat when they went to open the door saying that he was going to shoot and kill the female that was in room with him, as well as shoot any officers that might come in,” said IMPD officer Jim Gillespie.

Police evacuated the motel and the area nearby, including a park across the street where children were playing.

“They basically told everybody, including me and everyone you see out here, to leave away from the building and get out of the building,” said Jasmine Williams, who was staying at the Gateway Motel and spent the afternoon behind police lines, waiting for something to change.

Williams says she met the suspect Tuesday.

“He had a whole bunch of money and guns and weapons and stuff like that,” said Williams.

Police say the suspect did not have any of those weapons on him when he came out peacefully, after letting his girlfriend come outside ten minutes earlier.

“She’s doing just fine, she did not appear to be injured,” said Gillespie.

“Thank God he came out and nothing happened where they had to shoot anybody,” said Williams.

“When it comes to negotiations, the longer it goes, we just hope that folks start to realize it’s not worth it and I think that’s exactly what happened,” Gillespie said.

Police have not released the man’s name yet but say he’ll face charges for the parole violation and likely charges involving Wednesday’s standoff.

Lafayette Road was closed in the area as police negotiated with the man.

Filed under: