Student charged in battery at Hamilton Southeastern High School

One charged in HSE battery investigation
One charged in Fishers battery

FISHERS, Ind. (WTHR) — A high school student has been arrested following a physical altercation during an after-school sporting event Thursday.

Fishers police responded to the altercation involving two 15-year-old students.

It resulted in a misdemeanor battery charge being filed in juvenile court, but some adults are very concerned about the seriousness of the alleged crime.

Police were called to Hamilton Southeastern High School late Thursday afternoon. Members of the track team were dressing for a meet. We’re told that’s when a student committed a battery on another student.

Eyewitness News was told the alleged attack was sexual in nature.

A good friend of the family, who asked us not to identify her, updated us on the alleged victim’s condition.

"We're all very proud of him as a young man. He was able to go back to school today. He has a lot of strength, obviously."

Police and prosecutors are releasing few details.

One student told us he was in the locker room at the time of the alleged incident.

"I heard a scream and me and my friend went over to see what happened.

The victim was sitting in his locker, tearing up, and (the suspect) was standing off to the side. We felt bad for the victim and consoled him because he had a race soon."

While the track meet went on, the school district says it called police, who questioned, then handcuffed the suspect.

Family took the other student to a hospital.

"Most of the students were shocked and couldn't believe it, including me,” said another student. “We were really just in shock for the rest of the meet."

The family friend called it a horrible experience.

"Yes, definitely was. As parents, we are all mortified something like this could happen in a school district such as this."

Another student who was in the locker room told us the alleged victim “was debating whether to tell or not and ultimately we told him that it was in his best interest to do so.”

We're told he had to leave the locker room to find school staff to report it.

"As a parent myself, I'm disappointed there weren't more coaches, teachers or other parents nearby that could've helped prevent this or at least stop it before it got this far out of hand."

The friend said the family is pleased with the quick response of the Fishers police department and the prosecutor.

Police said everyone involved is cooperating with the investigation, which they called "ongoing."