State Police find other car, driver from crash that killed 2 teens Tuesday night

Police say five people were ejected in a fatal crash on I-70 near Harding Street Tuesday night.

INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) - One of the teenagers badly injured in a deadly accident on Interstate 70 Tuesday night is out of the hospital.

Seventeen-year-old Olivia Evans, according to her grandfather, is recovering at home. Two of her friends were killed in the crash and two others are still hospitalized.

Thursday, investigators found a car witnesses linked the crash. It's telling them more about what led up to the deadly wreck.

State police are working to determine if what occurred at the Harding Street exit of I-70 was a tragic accident, a crime, or both.

Brandon Gross, 18 (submitted photo)

Finding the car witnesses said might have been involved in the accident is answering a lot of questions for investigators. Indiana State Police Sgt. John Perrine said the driver is cooperating.

"This definitely helps our case. This is a complex investigation," Perrine explained. "There are a lot of parts to it and that was a big missing piece."

Shortly before the deadly accident, investigators say the five teenagers were in the nearby Rhodious Park.

"We've been able to determine there was some sort of altercation between the group of teenagers and some other people." Perrine said.

Those "other people," according to Perrine, followed the teenagers' SUV out of the park and on to I-70. The speeding SUV swerved across three lanes of the interstate then rolled over several times.

"Right now, it is our indication that it was one vehicle following another," Perrine said. "We don't have any indication that the one car physically caused the crash."

Police don't know whether that "following" involved chasing or threats.

Olivia's grandfather wants answers.

"If they caused them to try to escape because they feared a confrontation or fight, I'm glad they did locate them, then maybe they'll get to the bottom of this." Milford Evans said. "It's terrible regardless who is involved."

None of the teenagers were wearing seatbelts at the time of the crash.

Friends made a small memorial 17-year-old Taylor Parsons and 18-year-old Brandon Gross. Both were killed.

"It was sickening to see that many people sad at school," one of their friends said.

Evans, 19-year-old Michael Blackmore, and 17-year-old Kristopher Church suffered serious injuries.

Police have a lot of questions only the survivors can answer. The two young men still hospitalized are so critically injured they have been unable to speak with investigators.

Filed under: