TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Jonathan Doerer made a 41-yard field goal in overtime and No. 9 Notre Dame escaped with a 41-38 victory after Florida State overcame an 18-point deficit Sunday night.
Ryan Fitzgerald’s 37-yard field-goal attempt sailed wide left to begin overtime.
Jack Coan completed 26 of 35 passes for 366 yards and four touchdowns in his Notre Dame debut. Coan threw touchdown passes to Michael Mayer, Kyren Williams, Kevin Austin and Joe Wilkins.
Notre Dame led 38-20 with 4:37 to go in the third quarter.
Florida State rallied to force overtime, with Jordan Travis connecting with Andrew Parchment on an 8-yard touchdown strike, Treshaun Ward scoring on a 2-yard run, and Fitzgerald tying it with a 43-yard field goal with 40 seconds left.
Notre Dame (1-0) plays their home opener Saturday, Sept. 11 against Toledo (1-0) at 2:30 p.m. ET.
What other people are reading:
- Afghan evacuee children play soccer with soldiers at Camp Atterbury
- Baby dolphin trapped by Hurricane Ida rescued from Louisiana pond
- State Police arrest Daleville man for grandfather's murder
- Marine killed in Afghanistan airport attack will return home to Logansport on Sept. 12
- Lyft, Uber to cover fees for drivers sued under Texas abortion law