CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — Sasha Stefanovic scored 22 points, including a go-ahead 3 at the start of double overtime that sent No. 4 Purdue over No. 17 Illinois 96-88.
The Boilermakers improved to 15-2. Purdue hit four straight shots to take an 89-83 lead with 1:03 left in double overtime, including two baskets by Eric Hunter Jr. Alfonso Plummer scored 24 points for Illinois, which is 13-4. Andre Curbelo, who had missed 11 games after being injured, had 20 points, six rebounds and three assists.
The Boilermakers (15-2) travel to Bloomington to take on in-state rivals Indiana University (12-4) Thursday, Jan. 20. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET.
Preseason No. 1 Gonzaga has climbed back to the top of The Associated Press men’s basketball poll, ending Baylor’s five-week run.
The Bulldogs got 25 first-place votes, 11 fewer than No. 2 Auburn, but edged the Tigers in overall points to take the top spot.
Auburn has its highest ranking since reaching No. 2 in 1999-2000 after moving up two spots.
Arizona, Purdue and Baylor round out the top five.
What other people are reading:
- Here's how to get four free COVID tests starting Wednesday
- 'It didn't look good': How the Texas rabbi and 2 other hostages escaped their synagogue
- Budweiser slipping golden cans into packs for chance to win $1 million
- Mystery of who betrayed Anne Frank has new possible answer
- 2 girls identified in deadly Clinton County house fire