SAN DIEGO — Jacy Sheldon scored 19 points and No. 24 Ohio State defeated San Diego State 66-54 in the Buckeyes' final nonconference game.
Braxtin Miller added 16 points and Stark County native Taylor Mikesell 15 for OSU (9-2), which resumes Big Ten play -- where they are 1-1 -- at No. 9 Michigan on New Year's Eve. Mikesell had five points in a 10-0 run through the middle of the first quarter that gave Ohio State an 18-9 lead.
The Aztecs (6-5) worked back into a tie at 27 before the Buckeyes took a 35-30 lead into the break. Asia Avinger and Sophia Ramos both had 10 for the Aztecs.
This was Ohio State's first game since last Wednesday, after their scheduled Sunday matchup with UCLA was canceled due to COVID-19 protocols within the Bruins' program.
More sports headlines:
- Kent State falls to Wyoming 52-38 in Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
- 'Four yards from the 4th seed': #3Browns The 5th Quarter with Jay Crawford and Dave 'Dino' DeNatale
- Cavaliers sign Justin Anderson and Luke Kornet amid COVID outbreak
- Report: David Blitzer, part-owner of NBA, NHL teams, close to acquiring 35% of Guardians
- What are the Browns' playoff odds after loss vs. Las Vegas Raiders?
- Ohio State men's basketball game against UT Martin canceled due to COVID concerns