Second teen arrested in connection to shooting death of 41-year-old Renea Lloyd

Family and friends mourned the loss of Renea Lloyd.

Police arrested a second person in the shooting death of an Indianapolis mother on July 15th.

Detectives arrested 17-year-old Markese Garrett in the death of 41-year-old Renea Lloyd and waived him to adult court. Prosecutors charged him with reckless homicide and carrying a handgun without a license.

A 16-year-old was arrested a month ago. The juvenile faces preliminary charges of reckless homicide and dangerous possession of a firearm. The juvenile's name is not being released.

Family and friends of 41-year-old Renea Lloyd stood outside her north side July 17 mourning her senseless death. 

Lloyd died of a single gunshot wound to the head on the evening of July 15th, 2015, while inside her home.

Cynthia Parrish, Lloyd's mother, said, "She was standing in her kitchen and it went all the way to the end of the house and it went right through to her. "

Lloyd's only child, 22-year-old David Lloyd, said, "She was locking the door so no one could try to come and get us. That's what she was about.  She knew what kind of neighborhood we lived in."

Check crime reports near you.

It happened around 7:30 Wednesday night, along the 3600 block of N. Salem.  Police believe Lloyd was killed by a bullet fired from an alley that runs behind the houses across the street from her home.

Lt. Rick Riddle said police found "multiple shell casings in the alley" and were able to follow the trajectory of the bullet using a laser.

"We believe at this time our victim is truly a random victim, that the bullet was not intended for her," he said.

David had left the house a short time earlier.

Check crime reports near you.

"I was in the neighborhood just hanging out...and we heard shots...It was 'who got shot?'" he said.

Not long after he went home.  He said he didn't have his key and after his mother failed to come to the door after he knocked repeatedly, he kicked it open, finding her on the kitchen floor

"I thought she fell.  We have a step up so I thought she tripped," he said.

Riddle said the coroner determined she'd been shot in the head. 

"Everybody wants justice, but God's got the last justice," David said. 

For now, he just wants people to know what a kind and giving person his mother was.

"She would try to help someone walking down the street that needed some help. That's just the kind of person she was.  That's the person she tried to raise me to be.  That's what I'm trying to do for my family.  i'm trying to be strong," David said.

Check crime reports near you.

Rashida Browne, a niece, described Lloyd as "one of God's angels...we called her Big Mama.  She loved kids...She had the biggest heart and the biggest spirit.  She loved us unconditionally....She touched so many lives."