Overnight house fire on northeast side claims two lives

A man and woman died in an overnight house fire on Adams Street Saturday, June 8, 2019. (WTHR/Joe Fenton)
Couple dies in house fire
Adams house fire
Published:
Updated:

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WTHR) - Authorities have identified the couple who died when their northeast side house burned early Saturday morning.

Indianapolis Fire Battalion Chief Rita Reith said Norman and Mary Ellen Lomax were taken to Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition and later died there.

Their house at 3134 Adams Street, just east of Washington Park, caught fire shortly after 2:15 a.m. and crews had it under control, located both victims and began medical treatment shortly after 2:30 a.m.

Reith said in a statement, "It appears that both victims were awakened and alerted by the working smoke alarms but neither was able to make it out on their own."

Three dogs survived the fire.

Investigators say food left on the stove accidentally started the deadly fire, which filled the house with smoke.