Ohio police to give an update on missing boy following overnight search of house

Harley Dilly. (Photo: Port Clinton Police Department)

PORT CLINTON, Ohio (WTOL) — Port Clinton police have set a noon press conference on Tuesday, Jan. 14 to update the public on the investigation into missing teen, Harley Dilly.

After an overnight search of a vacant house near Harley's residence, the police chief and fire officials left the scene just after 3 a.m. Tuesday, and one officer remained outside the house into the early morning hours.

Dilly went missing on Dec. 20 about 40 miles east of Toledo. Police say he left for school around 7 a.m. but never made it.

Port Clinton police did not confirm the nature of law enforcement presence on the 500 block of Fulton Street, only that the Bureau of Criminal Investigation was on the scene investigating.

Investigators cutting the wall from the inside of a vacant house in Port Clinton near the home of Harley Dilly. (WTOL)

At just after 2 a.m. Tuesday, a white van was seen backing up to a side door at the vacant house, where just an hour earlier investigators cut a wall open from the inside. The back door to the van was opened and police cars and an ambulance pulled up, blocking the view of the van. A few minutes after that, the white van pulled away from the house and a BCI unit also left.

A press release at 8:23 p.m. Monday from Port Clinton Chief of Police Robert Hickman stated that Harley is still missing, and that's been the last official word from authorities.

Multiple streets around the house were blocked off during the search.

A coat hanging inside the unoccupied home police were searching looked similar to the one Harley Dilly was last seen wearing, although officials hadn't said anything about it. We can't confirm if this is Harley's coat.

On more than one occasion, Port Clinton police have stated that Harley's parents have fully cooperated with the investigation, and they had no reason to suspect them of wrongdoing, including on their most recent Facebook update on the case.

Harley's mom, Heather Dilly, spoke for the first time on her son's disappearance on Jan. 4.

"The scrutiny that comes with it — nobody tells you how you are going to be bashed and your family," she told WTOL. "The biggest focus is Harley; that's the biggest thing. You know, everybody can think whatever they want, and that's fine. But he is out there somewhere. You know, it's two weeks, and I have to get up every day and look at that room and he is not there."

Harley's story has garnered a lot of community attention, and Port Clinton businesses and other organizations gave checks to the police to help with a reward for information leading to Harley.

The reward money rose to a total $17,555 about a week ago, after nearly $6,000 was raised by a GoFundMe page created by Fisherman's Wharf — $1,000 was donated by an anonymous source and $455 was donated by the Friends of Liberty Aviation Museum.

Filed under: