FORT WORTH, Texas (WTHR) - A medical examiner in Texas ruled a man died last month when an electronic cigarette exploded.
According to NBC Dallas, 24-year-old William Brown was sitting in his car in front of a store where he went to buy vaping products when the explosion occurred. He was rushed to the hospital, where doctors had difficulty removing a three-inch piece of jagged metal from his head.
Several days later, Brown died. The medical examiner in Tarrant County ruled Brown died of "penetrating trauma from (an) exploding vaporizer pen" and that the explosion cut Brown's left carotid artery.
The examiner's report did not identify the brand of electronic cigarette or provide other details.
Alice Brown said her grandson's accident should serve as a lesson to others about the dangers of using vaping pens.
"He was talking when he got to the hospital," she said. "Now he's got a new address in heaven."
NBC Dallas reports Brown may be the second person in the United States to die from an exploding vape pen after a man in Florida died in May. The New York Times reported that victim died of a "projectile wound to the head" after an electronic cigarette exploded.