Breaking News
More () »

Muncie police, fire investigating reported carbon monoxide deaths of man, 2 children

A 3-year-old and 1-year-old were found dead alongside a man in Muncie on Sunday.

MUNCIE, Ind. — Muncie police and firefighters are investigating the deaths of a man and two children found Sunday afternoon in a home on East Yale Avenue.

"I saw that baby come out of that door in her mother's arms," neighbor Kevy Bennett said.

Neighbors like Bennett are still in shock.

The Delaware County coroner tells 13News there was a high carbon monoxide reading in the home.

A 25-year-old man and two children — both under the age of 3 — died. Police have still not released the names of the victims.

Bennett said her 5-year-old son ran into the house saying neighbors needed help. Bennett, a 10-year certified nursing assistant, claims she ran over to offer help before first responders arrived. 13News wasn't able to verify who was offering help at the scene.

"I asked them if they needed me to provide CPR, and there was a man out here that told me it was too late. The mother of the children, I'm assuming, brought one of the children outside, and that's the worst part for me because I saw the baby," Bennett said.

Another neighbor, who is an EMT, said when she heard yelling, she went over to offer help but was turned down.

"People in general just don't accept assistance from people unless they know who they are," Wendy Montague said.

Montague said she used to live in the same home a few years ago. Neighbors grew concerned when Muncie police and crime scene investigators arrived on the scene.

"It's been in the high 60s at night, and the only thing over there that really uses any kind of gas is the heater. It was just serviced two, three years ago when we were in there," Montague said.

Bennett is now focused on keeping her own children safe.

"Now it's got me on edge. It has me on edge now because if this is what really happened to these people, it just makes you think, ya know? It just makes you nervous," Bennett said, who is now getting her home checked to ensure her gas appliances have some sort of sensor to alert her if there is a carbon monoxide leak.

The Muncie police and fire departments continue to investigate.

An unidentified woman also found on scene was treated at an area hospital. Her condition is not known.

Before You Leave, Check This Out