WASHINGTON, DC (WTHR) - The Pence women have revealed some of the handmade gowns they are wearing this week in Washington.
During the Indiana Inaugural Ball Thursday night, Mike Pence's wife, Karen, along with their daughters and daughter-in-law donned dresses designed and made by the group of Hoosier women.
Dressmakers Sarah Knochel, Joyce Hittesdorf, Donna Christian, Cathy Runion, Whitney Luckenbill and Ellen Blacketer made the dresses out of a small shop called "Something Wonderful" in Broad Ripple. They were sworn to secrecy on the designs until Thursday night.
- Karen Pence's dress: "French Chantilly lace bodice with square cut sleeves attached to an all over embroidered silk skirt and accented with a mocha satin belt. The bodice was embellished with hand appliqued lace scallops to follow the shape of the neckline and sparkles with many very small sequins. The 4 inch wide horsehair hem sewn by hand supports the 5 yard span of silk, making it float softly across the floor."
- Charlotte Pence's dress: "Black satin sheath dress with mermaid flounce and detail of geometric lace."
- Audrey Pence's dress: "Antique rose burn out velvet strapless gown with skirt drape of English netting."
- Sarah Pence's dress: "Bodice of metallic gold and black brocade with raglan cut arm holes and a full black silk taffeta ball gown skirt. More silk creates a cumber-bun effect on the hips and a gold metallic petticoat can be seen beneath the skirt hem.
Here's a look at the dresses the Pence ladies will wear as they attend Friday night's inaugural balls.
- Karen Pence's dress: "Almost 40 yards of cobalt blue silk chiffon was used to create this softly flowing gown. Sewing together 13 half-circles created a dress that gently floats across the floor, but ripples when twirled on the dance floor. The hem measures 57 yards around. The bodice is ruched with very narrow spaghetti straps and draped chiffon over the arms."
- Audrey Pence's dress: "Off-white silk satin, A-line ball skirt with dyed petticoat and yoke waistband. Halter top of dyed embroidered and hand-beaded English netting cut above the waist, creating a peek-a-boo effect."
- Sarah Pence's dress: "Red silk chiffon dress with asymmetrical chiffon bias drape. The narrow skirt also features asymmetrical skirt draping."
- Charlotte Pence's dress (right two photos): "French metallic silver silk chiffon circular skirt with ruched pleating on the bodice front and back. Off-shoulder cap sleeves of silver embroidered, hand-beaded organza."