SANTA CLAUS, Ind. — The family of a missing Indiana teenager said she has been found in Jacksonville, Florida, and is expected to return home within the next five days.
Kendall King, 15, was reported missing from Santa Claus, Indiana on July 21. According to family members, King was seen walking alone on Jackson Street in Huntingburg, Indiana on July 24, but had not been seen since.
On Aug. 23, the family said police and federal agencies located King in Jacksonville, Florida.
"While we want to rush to her side and fly her straight home, there are a bunch of legal hoops we have to jump through in order to get her home safe and sound," the family said in a statement. "We have waited 33 days to know she is safe, we will eagerly work with the authorities to get her back home to southern Indiana as soon as possible."
The family said they will be rallying around King over the next several days and weeks to make sure she has access to help and services she needs to start healing.
Amber Alert vs. Silver Alert: What's the difference?
There are specific standards a person's disappearance must meet in order for police to declare an Amber Alert or a Silver Alert.
Amber Alerts are for children under the age of 18 who are believed to have been abducted and in danger. Police also need to have information about a suspect and their car to issue an Amber Alert.
Silver Alerts are for missing and endangered adults or children. They are much more common for missing people. It was not until last year when the standards for Silver Alerts were expanded to include children.
In both situations, these alerts must be issued by police.
What other people are reading:
- Gas in Indiana now averaging below $4 per gallon
- Hundreds of veterans, officers gather to drop roses at fallen Elwood officer's memorial
- With Indiana's abortion ban 1 month from taking effect, Ohio doctor warns anti-abortion laws already hurting health care
- Construction zone crashes plaguing stretch of I-65 in Boone County
- 'I just wish I had your hair': Woody Harrelson responds after baby lookalike goes viral