GREENWOOD, Ind. (WTHR) — An armed robbery suspect fell off the top of a stolen van after police struck him with a Taser.
Police were first called to the Greenwood Discount Tobacco store at U.S. 31 and Fry Rd., just south of the Greenwood Park Mall around 7:30 p.m. Thursday evening.
A worker at the store said the business was robbed at gunpoint. Police said during the robbery, the clerk was pistol-whipped and the robbery suspect stole a customer's van.
Police said they located the stolen van and chased it into the Whispering Trails neighborhood where the suspect drove through yards and almost hit other cars and houses.
Police said the chase turned back onto Fry Road where the driver, later identified as Jameson McCarthy, revealed a gun to police.
At the intersection of U.S. 31, the suspect hit another vehicle and then crashed into a pole. McCarthy then climbed out of the window and onto the roof of the van where he was confronted by police.
Police shocked McCarthy with a Taser which resulted in a head-first fall off the van onto the ground below.
Video from the scene shot by Doug Thayer shows police approaching the suspect. Warning: The video might be upsetting to some viewers.
McCarthy was treated at Eskenazi Hospital and was then taken to the Marion County jail on an unrelated charge.
He was charged Friday in Johnson County on these counts:
1. Robbery Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury Injury to someone other than a defendant
2. Robbery Taking property by force or threatening the use of force while armed
3. Criminal Confinement while armed with a deadly weapon
4. Unlawful Possession of a Firearm by Serious Violent Felon
5. Resisting Law Enforcement using a vehicle to commit the offense