PUTNAM COUNTY, Ind. — Putnam County officials are investigating a deadly crash that also sent a toddler to the hospital
The head-on collision happened Tuesday on East State Road 42.
A Putnam County Sheriff's Office spokesperson said 71-year-old Gary Bailey was driving a red GMC SUV westbound on East State Road 42 when his vehicle crossed the center line and crashed into an oncoming silver car, driven by 21-year-old Billie Hatton.
Witnesses said the crash happened on a bridge, so Hatton was unable to swerve in any direction to avoid the head-on collision.
Both drivers were killed in the crash, and a toddler, who was in the silver car, was flown to Riley Hospital for Children for their injuries.
"Our hearts and prayers go out to the families of the two victims. We also pray for the child. We ask that you do the same," said the sheriff in a Facebook post.
Putnam County is roughly 45 miles southwest of downtown Indianapolis.
What other people are reading:
- McCordsville girl gets reply to letter about equity in youth golf apparel
- Carmel's Kibler, Mitchell qualify for Tokyo Games; IU's Lilly King dominant in 100m breaststroke
- Lawsuit challenges Gov. Holcomb's ending of extended unemployment benefits June 19
- US military guns keep vanishing, some used in street crimes
- Monthly child tax credit payments start in 1 month: Here's what we know.