Breaking News
More () »

North Indianapolis bar ordered to close after shooting left 1 critically injured

N Zone Bar & Grill was ordered to shut down Sunday. It will remain closed until its owners get the permits that firefighters say the bar needs but doesn't have.

INDIANAPOLIS — A bar on the north side of Indianapolis has been shut down, firefighters said after inspecting the business as part of a shooting investigation and discovering it was operating without several permits.

Police were called to a person shot at 8311 N. Michigan Rd., the address for N Zone Bar & Grill, Sunday around 3:30 a.m. 

IMPD said the person who was shot was taken to the hospital in critical condition. 

It was the second shooting to happen at the strip mall last weekend. IMPD also reported another person shot on Saturday morning.  

Nearby businesses, like La Michoacana, reported damage from the gunfire.   

“During the first night, two bullets came through the wall and then one went through this wall and then the other one got stuck in this wall,” said Carlos Gonzalez, an employee at La Michoacana. “Second night, one came through that window, hit the wall and I am pretty sure it is somewhere next door.” 

As part of the investigation, Pike Township firefighters inspected the businesses. 

According to the Pike Township Fire Department, N Zone Bar & Grill didn't have a valid amusement and entertainment permit. This type of permit is required for places that have amusement rides or hosts events like concerts, movies and dances. 

Credit: WTHR
The N Zone Bar & Grill on North Michigan Road has been ordered to close after a shooting Saturday, May 21, 2022.

Pike Township Fire Marshal Jonathan Kempler also found that the bar's owner didn't have the permits required for construction that was in progress at the bar. 

The fire department issued an order Sunday to shut down the bar. It will remain closed until its owners get these permits. The bar also can't open until its owners have fixed several fire code violations, the fire department said. 

On Monday evening, owners Leroy Moore and Charles Porter told 13News they cleared up confusion with the fire department and are hoping to reopen on Wednesday.  

According to Moore, his business was shut down because of an occupancy permit. He said last December the fire department was supposed to issue one, but he said he never received one.  

“We kind of dropped the ball by not getting back with them and they kind of dropped the ball by not issuing us our permit,” he said.  

Moore also said state officials are coming to discuss an entertainment permit on Tuesday, saying he did not know that was needed.  

As for the recent shootings, Moore and Porter are praying for the victims saying the violence is “unwanted” and “uncalled for.”  

“We take pride in our bar. So much pride. We try to make everyone safe,” Moore said. 

What other people are reading:

Paid Advertisement