x
Breaking News
More () »

'I want to get out of here': Noblesville girl walks for 1st time since fire pit accident

Doctors originally told Sarah Zofkie to call family and friends because her daughter was not going to survive. On Tuesday, she took a big step in her recovery.

The 12-year-old girl whose story 13News shared in November is making strides in her recovery after suffering severe burns in a fire pit incident.

Natalie Zofkie poured gas on a fire at a neighbor's home to make it bigger, which resulted in third-degree burns on most of her body.

Doctors originally told Sarah to call family and friends because she was not going to survive.

But a recent video Sarah Zofkie, Natalie's mom, shared with 13News shows a different story.

The video shows Natalie walking on Tuesday, Dec. 15 for the first time since getting to Riley Hospital for Children.

Natalie's doctor told Sarah they have never had a child with similar injuries make progress this quickly but also said Natalie still has a long way to go.

"Ninety-three percent of her body is burnt. Most of that is third-degree, meaning through all the layers of the skin and into fat," said Dr. Brett Hartman, medical director of Riley Hospital for Children's burn unit. "Having an injury like that, all of that tissue has to come off."

When Sarah asked Natalie why she's working so hard and is so determined, Natalie said, "because I want to get out of here."

Credit: Zofkie family
Photo of Natalie Zofkie prior to the fire pit incident.

The Zofkie family is sharing their story in hopes of saving others from the horrific injuries Natalie is dealing with now. 

The family has a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for hospital expenses. As of Friday morning, the fundraiser had raised more than $91,000. Donations can also be made to "Angels of Natalie Zofkie." Send an email to angelsofnataliezofkie@gmail.com for more information and to contribute.

RELATED: 11-year-old Noblesville girl critically burned in fire pit accident

RELATED: Texas woman severely burned after hand sanitizer catches fire and explodes