DELAWARE COUNTY, Ind — A 10-year-old girl was flown to an Indianapolis hospital after a go-kart she was driving crashed head-on into a UTV carrying two other children.
The crash, which happened in the 7700 block of West Delaware County Road 850 North, was reported to first responders just before 4:30 p.m. Monday.
Investigators determined the girl was driving the go-kart when it crashed head-on with a side-by-side UTV occupied by a 10-year-old boy and 6-year-old girl.
Jeff Stanley, deputy chief of the Delaware County Sheriff's Department, said the 10-year-old girl was seriously injured in the crash and that none of the children were wearing helmets. Stanley added that first responders were met by the children's parents, who were on the scene of the accident.
Medics took the girl to a local hospital where a helicopter was waiting to fly her directly to an Indianapolis hospital.
The sheriff's crash reconstruction team helped Indiana conservation officers investigate the crash.
The children's names have not been released by authorities.
What other people are reading:
- Search continues for Indianapolis couple missing in Nevada
- $50,000 reward offered in robbery of Indianapolis postal worker
- Flight cancellations and delays: What you're entitled to as a passenger
- How dwindling federal COVID relief funds impact uninsured Hoosiers
- Indiana DNR to investigate deaths at Native American residential schools
- What is 'smishing'? Expert offers safety tips amid explosion in text-based scams
- Texas man saves stepdaughter from RV moments before it's flipped by radar-confirmed tornado
- Body camera footage refutes viral video claims of teen getting out of DUI by flirting with Colorado deputy