INDIANAPOLIS — IMPD is investigating after an incident Tuesday night left two people injured, including an officer.
According to an IMPD spokesperson, officers responded to a disturbance in the 100 block of Villa Avenue, near Southeastern and South State avenues, just before midnight.
IMPD said two dogs charged at an officer, so the officer fired a shot at one of the dogs, striking it, as well as striking a person in the hand who was trying to get the dogs under control.
Police provided medical treatment at the scene, and the person was taken to Eskenazi Hospital in good condition.
Police said the dog that was shot died at the scene.
One of the dogs bit an officer during the incident. The officer was evaluated for their injuries and not taken to a hospital.
The officers' body cameras were activated during the incident.
While the investigation is ongoing, IMPD said there was "no known threat to the community."
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call Detective John Breedlove at 317-327-3475 or by email at John.Breedlove@indy.gov.
What other people are reading:
- 2 people charged in Irvington crosswalk crash that killed 7-year-old girl
- Riley doctor discusses Pfizer's COVID vaccine for kids age 5-11
- Police, victim warn of 'virtual hostage' phone scam
- Why do dogs tilt their heads? Study aims to find out
- When to watch Rudolph, Frosty and 'Charlie Brown Christmas' on TV, streaming this year
- Report: Woman charged $700 for ER visit says 'I wasn’t seen at all'
- FBI investigating racial slur, fire at Connersville council member's home
- Indiana AG auctioning off unclaimed property