x
Breaking News
More () »

13 WTHR Indianapolis | Indianapolis Local News & Weather

Hamburger buns found stored inside public restroom at Tennessee Checkers restaurant

These aren't the type of buns you expect to see in the restroom. Customers at a Checkers restaurant found at least a dozen racks storing hundreds of hamburger buns in the public restroom.
10411405_G

These aren't the type of buns you expect to see in the restroom.

Customers at a Checkers restaurant found at least a dozen racks storing hundreds of hamburger buns in the public restroom.

Cell phone video and pictures confirm these buns weren't cooking in the oven, but instead were cooking under the bathroom lights.

Customers called the Tennessee Department of Health, who say they sent officials to investigate the situation within 24 hours.

But health officials say when they arrived the "bathroom buns" were in the dumpster, so Checkers remains open for business.

Regardless, customers say they're going to find a new fast food place.

"It's just bad business," said customer T.C. Cooper. "It's just poor management, and it's disgusting."

"They said that they were trying to get them out of there and inside their restaurant," said another customer, Stephen Staley.

"We had an environmentalist go out to the restaurant Sunday morning and speak with the manager and find out what the situation was and make sure everything was dealt with appropriately," said Eric Coffee with the Environmental Health Department. "There were no imminent health hazards present while we were there in order to require them to be closed."

Statement from Checkers:

"The health and safety of our guests is our top priority, and a bread delivery mistakenly left in the bathroom is completely unacceptable. 

"The buns were misplaced during a delivery at the franchise-operated Checkers location in Cleveland, Tennessee, on Saturday, April 23, 2016, and when discovered, they were immediately disposed of by the restaurant team. The buns were never served, and the employees involved in the delivery have been disciplined.

"The health department conducted an inspection at the restaurant this morning and  confirmed the disposal of the buns. We apologize to our guests, and we are taking actions with this franchisee to ensure our operating procedures are followed."