INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) - Good morning. Here are five things you need to know about this morning:
1) An AMBER Alert is active this morning for three children from Michigan who are believed to be here in Indiana. Officers from Sturgis, Michigan, believe 37-year-old Fernando Mendoza Cruz abducted his three children, 4-year-old Matteo Nieves, 5-year-old Chelsey Lopez and 2-year-old Aldo Cruz, in a 2009 black Chevy Traverse with Michigan plate DWH9204. They were last seen near Fremont, Indiana. That's just two miles on this side of the state border in the far northeastern corner of the state. Matteo was last seen wearing red shorts and a blue T-shirt; Chelsey, a pink T-shirt and blue pajama pants; and Aldo, a blue T-shirt with a diaper. Anyone with information is asked to call 911 or the Sturgis Police Department at (269) 651-3231.
2) President Donald Trump comes to Evansville tonight at 7 p.m. Central Time. He has a rally scheduled at Ford Center, where he'll endorse Republican candidate Mike Braun's U.S. Senate campaign. Braun faces Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly, who has been considered a vulnerable Senate incumbent on the ballot this year. The rally has already filled up the convention center's hotel and forced the cancellation of a concert for the Red Hot Chilli Pipers, a bagpipe band. Progressive activists from about 18 Indiana counties plus Kentucky and Illinois intend to join a Vanderburgh County Democratic Party demonstration outside Trump's rally. You need a ticket to attend, but the tickets are free. Click here to request tickets.
3) The celebration of Sen. John McCain's life as a former prisoner of war and maverick politician enters a second day with a church service and a military salute before his casket departs his adopted state of Arizona for the U.S. Capitol. A motorcade with McCain's remains leaves this morning from the Arizona Capitol, where McCain has been lying in state so thousands of people could say good-bye. Arizona residents have been invited to honor McCain today by lining the route from the Capitol to the North Phoenix Baptist Church, where an honor guard will greet the hearse when it arrives. Former Vice President Joe Biden will deliver remarks at today's service, where a number of friends and family members of McCain will also speak. A choir from the Jesuit-run Brophy College Preparatory school that McCain's sons Jack and Jimmy attended will sing "Amazing Grace" and "Arizona." The recessional music will be Frank Sinatra's signature song, "My Way," paying tribute to a man who became known for following his own path based on his personal principles.
4) We're starting off cloudy this morning, but a nice clearing arrives this afternoon. Winds will be out of the north today, helping humidity fall. Kelly Greene says afternoon highs will climb into the upper 70s to near 80 degrees. It will be mostly clear and pleasant this evening with temperatures falling into the low 60s. Winds will shift out of the south again tomorrow, allowing warmer air to start moving back into central Indiana. It will be partly cloudy with highs in the mid-80s and a slight chance of an isolated afternoon storm.
5) The Colts play their final preseason game tonight at 7 p.m. against the Cincinnati Bengals in Cincinnati, starting the 10-Day Countdown to Kickoff for the regular season (also against the Bengals, but here in Indianapolis). An oversized Colts helmet will be on Monument Circle from today through until Sept. 7. You can stop by to take photos with the figurine.