INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) - Good morning. Here are five things you need to know today:
1) We've learned the NTSB will arrive in Rochester today to investigate yesterday's crash that killed 3 children who were walking to their bus stop. They crossed a street to get on their bus when a truck came plowing through and hit them near Rochester in Fulton County. That's about 2 hours north of Indy. Police arrested 24-year-old Alyssa Shepherd yesterday afternoon. She has since been released on bond.
2) A man is dead after an overnight stabbing on the south side. The victim was visiting another man and his wife at an apartment on Turtle Creek Court near East Street & Thompson Road around midnight when a fight broke out that eventually led to the stabbing. Police say the man who lives at the apartment was also taken to the hospital but is expected to survive and has since been detained for questioning.
3) The Old South Side is getting a lift - one that comes with millions of federal dollars to help with revitalization and economic development. Mayor Joe Hogsett will designate the Old South Side a "Lift Indy" neighborhood this morning, the city's second. The program is aimed at transforming the city's urban core neighborhoods. The Old South Side/Stadium Village area, just south of downtown, will receive roughly $4 million in grants over the next three years for affordable housing, placemaking, infrastructure and other quality of life improvements.
4) It's a wet start to our day in central Indiana and the rain will fall most of the day. For trick-or-treating tonight, Chuck Lofton says parents should plan on breezy, chilly conditions at minimum, with showers possible. However, the steadier and heavier rain amounts might be south of I-70 Halloween evening with potential of thunderstorms, too.
5) Some cities moved their trick-or-treat times because of the rain threat. Check out trick-or-treat times in your area by clicking here. Some areas had their trick-or-treat last night and viewers sent us pictures of their costumes. Check out some of our favorites by clicking here.