INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) - Good morning. Here are five things you need to know today:
1) A local 14-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting hit by a car while trick-or-treating. It happened around 8 p.m. on Main Street in Greenfield. He was taken to Riley for treatment, but his condition hasn't been released.
2) A northern Indiana community will come together tonight to remember three kids who were hit and killed while walking to their school bus. A vigil for Alivia Stahl and her younger brothers Mason and Xzavier Ingle is tonight at 7 p.m. at the Mentone Youth League. Police say Alyssa Shepherd, the driver, saw flashing lights on the road but didn't realize it was a school bus. She is currently out on bail.
3) A petition with 50,000 signatures is calling for the Indianapolis Zoo to transfer its lions to a lion sanctuary. Zuri attacked and killed her mate, Nyack, earlier this month. Animal welfare advocates started the Care2 petition immediately after, saying keeping animals in captivity is unnatural and cruel. It cites lion experts struggling to figure out why a lion would attack her mate. Nyack and Zuri lived together for 8 years without any incidents.
4) Indianapolis Power and Light customers will soon be paying more on their bill every month. IPL's proposed rate hike just got the final stamp of approval from the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission. The average customer will be paying $5 more a month. The extra money will be used to replace an outdated coal plant with a more efficient natural gas plant.
5) It's already a wet morning and Chuck Lofton says we're looking at a washout across central Indiana today. There's a Flood Watch for areas from Nashville and Columbus south this morning. A raw northeasterly wind will keep temperatures in the 40s today. By tomorrow afternoon, rainfall amounts of 2"-4" are expected for southeastern Indiana and 1"-3" for the Indianapolis metro area. Showers should wrap up tomorrow morning before Operation Football, but be ready for chilly game conditions in the 40s with a brisk wind.
***PROGRAMMING NOTE: Eyewitness News is airing a half-hour election special tonight on Channel 13. "Decision 2018: Indiana Insiders" will run at 8 p.m., followed by an all-new episode of NBC's "The Good Place." Tonight's episode of "Superstore" will air overnight at 2:35 a.m.