INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) - Good morning. Here are five things you need to know today:
1) A Lion Air plane with 189 people onboard crashed into the sea just minutes after taking off from Indonesia's capital overnight in a blow to the country's aviation safety record after the lifting of bans on its airlines by the European Union and U.S. Indonesia's disaster agency posted photos online of a crushed smartphone, books, bags and parts of the aircraft fuselage that had been collected by search and rescue vessels that have converged on the area. Lion Air said the brand-new aircraft, on a 1-hour-and-10-minute flight to an island chain off Sumatra, was carrying 181 passengers, including one child and two babies, and eight crew members.
2) A memorial service is planned today in honor of the 11 people killed Saturday in a Synagogue in Pittsburgh. The Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis announced a Community Memorial Gathering with faith leaders from across central Indiana. The service begins at 5:30 p.m. at the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation on Meridian Street.
3) Students at two Hamilton Southeastern Schools return to class today after the murder-suicide of two longtime teachers. Police believe 52-year-old Frank Sergi shot and killed his estranged wife, 44-year-old Kristal, before turning the gun on himself Wednesday evening. Frank was an art teacher at Fall Creek Intermediate and Kristal taught preschool at Hoosier Road Elementary. The school district is expected to have counselors and therapy dogs for students on hand should they need it.
4) A bit cool, but a beautiful day ahead in Indiana both today and tomorrow. Temperatures are above freezing this morning, but Chuck Lofton says kids will still need coats and hats at the bus stop. We'll bounce back to near 60 degrees this afternoon with a mix of sun and clouds. It won't be as windy today but there will be a steady breeze in the afternoon. Highs tomorrow will approach 70 before rain expands over central Indiana in the evening hours into Halloween. The rain may still clear out before trick-or-treating hours.
5) INDOT is warning drivers that after a light weekend, road work is expected to pick up again today on I-69 Section 5 as weather permits. Starting this morning, some construction zones will return and punch list activity will pick up. Most construction activity will require shoulder closures and flagging operations, but INDOT wants drivers to be aware of some limited lane restrictions.