INDIANAPOLIS — One man is dead following a shooting on the east side of Indianapolis on Wednesday morning.
IMPD officers responded to the 500 block of South Emerson Avenue, near English Avenue, shortly before 7 a.m. for a report of a person shot. Police found a man, later identified as Eugene Kestner Jr., who had been shot on the front porch of a house.
Kestner, 43, was taken to a local hospital in critical condition and pronounced dead shortly after arriving there, IMPD said.
IMPD homicide detectives responded to begin an investigation. Preliminary information reveals Kestner was knocking loudly on the door of the house before the shooting, IMPD said.
Police said the occupants of the home knew Kestner, and investigators recovered the gun the believe was used in the shooting at the scene.
The Marion County Coroner's Office will determine the exact cause of the death.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact Detective Dan Smith at the IMPD Homicide Office at 317-327-3475 or email him at Daniel.Smith@indy.gov. They can also call Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana at 317-262-8477.
What other people are reading:
- Here's where to get your 4 free COVID tests from the government
- Brownsburg mom shares message of gratitude with her health care heroes
- 2022 Devour Indy Winterfest restaurants, menus released
- Here's how to get free N95 masks from the government, starting next week
- Dad caught on live TV during Georgia parade smelling child's diaper
- Indiana shelter receives $80K in donations thanks to #BettyWhiteChallenge
- 'This was meant to be a test message': Missouri police accidentally send Batman-themed emergency alert to phones
- 'A Hail Mary' | How Crackers Comedy Club was saved from closing for good