INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) — The Marion County Coroner has found a 1-year-old's cause of death was an environmental heat exposure accident.
The baby died after being left in a hot car at an AutoZone store in the 3800 block of East Washington Street back in May.
At the time, police told Eyewitness News the baby was found unresponsive in an SUV but could not confirm whether or not the child was left unattended.
The baby, later identified as 1-year-old Maria Guadalupe Sanchez, was transported to Riley Hospital for Children where she was pronounced dead.
Police considered it a death and not homicide investigation as they waited on a ruling by the coroner.
Friday afternoon, following months of toxicology and other testing, the coroner's office compared to 13 Investigates that the death was heat related and accidental.