x
Breaking News
More () »

13 WTHR Indianapolis | Indianapolis Local News & Weather

Lesson learned in Texas boy's "dry drowning" saves life of Colorado toddler

A Colorado father learned a lifesaving lesson from the tragic story of a Texas boy's "dry drowning."

FORT COLLINS, Colo. (KUSA) - A Colorado father learned a lifesaving lesson from the tragic story of a Texas boy's "dry drowning."

Garon Vega's 2-year-old son Gio swallowed some water while at a swimming pool on Wednesday, the father told KUSA-TV in Denver. Vega didn't think much of it, until Gio became sick later in the day.

The toddler complained of head pain and had a fever that wasn't going away.

When his mother Googled what may cause the symptoms, the family read the story of 4-year-old Frankie Delgado, who died earlier in the week days after swimming of a phenomenon called "dry drowning."

Gio's parents took him to the emergency room, where doctors found their suspicions were correct - the boy had "a significant amount of fluid" in his lungs.

"If we had waited the night, he probably wouldn't have made it," Vega said.

A doctor told KUSA while dry drowning in children is "extremely rare," any discomfort a child has while breathing, a change in lip or finger color, or a change in the child's responsiveness are signs the child may need medical attention.

Vega is now paying it forward, helping spread Gio's story to educate other parents about the dangers of dry drowning.