Breaking News
More () »

13 WTHR Indianapolis | Indianapolis Local News & Weather

Doctors: Fireworks and hand sanitizer form dangerous combination

Physicians at the University of Kansas recommend washing with soap and water if you plan on lighting or handling fireworks.

INDIANAPOLIS — Doctors have a warning as we head into the holiday weekend.

They say playing with or lighting fireworks after using hand sanitizer could lead to a serious injury. 

The problem is created because hand sanitizer is made up 60-70 percent alcohol. Doctors say it takes at least 30 seconds for hand sanitizer to dry, but the alcohol is still on your skin.

If you mix that with fire, you could get third-degree burns.

Doctors at the University of Kansas Health System say to be safe, you should wash your hands with soap and water before you handle fireworks.

RELATED: Fourth of July fireworks can be traumatic for veterans with PTSD

RELATED: See when you can watch fireworks in central Indiana

RELATED: Greenwood business hosting fireworks display this year

RELATED: Two reasons why you're hearing so many fireworks