TIPTON, Ind. — Tipton police arrested a man Wednesday for allegedly making a bomb.
Ian M. Turner, 32, is in the Tipton County Jail on preliminary charges for possession of a destructive device and criminal recklessness.
According to a Facebook post by Tipton Police, on Monday, June 7, a citizen told officers about a suspicious backpack left near the Side Street Mall just west of the courthouse square on State Road 28 in Tipton.
Officers found the backpack and began to investigate its contents. Inside, they found materials to manufacture an improvised explosive device (IED), or "homemade bomb," along with an assembled IED.
The Kokomo Police Department bomb squad was called to take the bomb and safely dispose of it.
Identifying information in the backpack led police to arrest Turner two days after finding the backpack.
There were no injuries reported as a result of this investigation.
As of Thursday morning, no charges had been filed in the case.
Anyone with additional information about this incident is encouraged to call TPD Captain Davin Nichols at 765-675-2152.
What other people are reading:
- Why do some people get side effects after COVID-19 vaccines?
- Doorbell camera captures hit-and-run crash that injured Lafayette woman on her lawn
- Man trying to mail package finds alligator in Florida post office lobby
- WATCH: Mooresville school staff read heartfelt thank you cards from community
- Single Georgia mom faces reckless conduct charges after struggling to find childcare during pandemic
- TSA: Staffing shortage could affect 1 in 3 airports during summer travel season
- Homophobic slur left on Lafayette couple's Arby's receipt
- How do I get the $300 monthly child stimulus payment if I've just had a baby?