INDIANAPOLIS — IMPD homicide detectives have taken over an east side double shooting investigation after a 14-year-old died nearly two weeks after being taken to the hospital for multiple gunshot wounds.
The incident happened just before midnight on Monday, Oct. 11, at Wellington Village Apartments in the 1800 block of Wellington Avenue, which is northwest of 16th Street and Franklin Road.
IMPD officers were sent to the complex when someone reported hearing the sound of gunfire. When they arrived, police said they found two "juveniles" inside the apartment who had been shot.
The first juvenile was taken by ambulance to Eskenazi Health in stable condition.
The second juvenile, a 14-year-old boy, had apparently been shot multiple times. He was transported to Riley Hospital in critical condition.
The boy died from his injuries on Sunday, Oct. 24. The coroner's office later identified him as Timothy Morris.
Police are still investigating the incident but said it appeared the two were shooting at each other at one point. A spokesperson told 13News it appears the gunfire started inside an apartment and ended in a parking lot.
No one else was injured.
Anyone with information about this incident is being asked to contact Detective Michael McWhorter at the IMPD Homicide Office at 317-327-3475 or email him at Michael.McWhorter@indy.gov.
NOTE: IMPD initially only specified that one of the victims was a juvenile. This story has been updated to show both people who were shot were juveniles.
What other people are reading:
- Live Doppler 13 Weather Blog: Strong to severe storms return Monday
- McDonald's will be offering free breakfast to teachers and staff starting Monday
- North Split Blog: The 1st finished ramp will open Monday
- Amazon driver stabbed at downtown Indy apartment complex
- Fishers OB nurse survived COVID-19 during pregnancy, advocates to get vaccinated
- IndyGo schedule adjustments began Sunday due to staffing issues