INDIANAPOLIS — Police say a woman is dead following a shooting in Camby neighborhood.
The Marion County Coroner's Office confirmed that the woman who died was Ashlee Atkins, 37.
IMPD officers received a report of a person shot in the 8700 block of Hosta Way shortly after 6 p.m. Wednesday. That address is in a neighborhood near Mooresville Road and State Road 67 in Camby.
When officers arrived at the residence, they found Atkins with injuries consistent with a gunshot wound. Police said she died inside the home.
The coroner's office confirmed she died of a gunshot wound associated with a homicide.
IMPD arrested 30-year-old Krystopher Monroe on a preliminary charge of murder and confirmed Atkins was his sister.
Police said Monroe was still at the scene when they arrived. He was immediately taken into custody without further incident.
The Marion County Prosecutor’s Office will make the final charging decision.
Anyone with information about this incident should contact Detective Lottie Patrick at the IMPD Aggravated Assault Office at 317.327.3475 or e-mail her at Lottie. Patrick@indy.gov
What other people are reading:
- 'Constitutional carry' gun law takes effect Friday in Indiana
- These new Indiana laws go into effect July 1
- 3 tiger cubs born at Indianapolis Zoo
- IMPD helps fulfill young Hoosier's wish
- Indy native on basketball scholarship fighting to walk again after shooting
- Supreme Court orders appeals court to reconsider Indiana law requiring parental notification when minors get abortions
- WATCH: Firefighters demonstrate damage lit sparkler can cause in dry grass
- Walmart worker alerts firefighters after finding kitten trapped in pop machine