INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) — A burglary suspect was shot following a lengthy standoff with police at a northwest Indianapolis office park Monday evening.
Police identified the suspect as 37-year-old Anthony Statzer.
Police said Statzer went into a building near West 71st Street and Zionsville Road around 5 p.m., expecting it to be empty, but there were still employees inside. The man left the building as IMPD officers arrived and chased him. Statzer then ran into a second building, which houses a driver's education business.
He reportedly tried to grab a woman, who was able to get away. Others inside the building were also able to escape as police secured the building and the standoff began.
SWAT officers and police negotiators were called. After hours of speaking with Statzer, police said he "became more agitated and pointed a firearm at officers." Officers fired shots and Statzer was hit. Police said he did have a gun on him.
Statzer was rushed to the hospital and is listed in critical condition. He is facing Attempted burglary, Confinement, Intimidation, Criminal Recklessness, Pointing a Firearm and Serious Violent Felon in Possession of a Firearm charges.
No one else was injured.
Here is a timeline of events according to IMPD:
- 5:07 p.m.- Northwest District Officers are dispatched to an in-progress business burglary, 7144 Lakeview Parkway W Drive. Dispatch advises responding officers that the suspect is a white male wearing a brown sweater and carrying a bag, who broke the window of the business with a piece of concrete and attempted to enter an occupied vehicle.
- 5:09 p.m. – Officer advises on the radio of that he can see a male matching the description leaving the business on foot and walking toward Pike High School.
- Additional Units begin to back on to the call and respond.
- Officer advises on the radio that the male is crossing the intersection of W. 71st Street and Zionsville Road. Officer also advises that the male is attempting to open vehicle and business doors.
- Officer observed the male enter 7120 Zionsville Road, Coach’s Drivers Education and advised that there may be a hostage situation with the students inside the business.
- Male has an encounter with the female employee upon entry. Employee notified the instructor and four students that there is an intruder in the building and all six exit the through the rear door.
- Employee of the business advises arriving officers that there is no one else inside the business.
- Officer advises on the radio that witnesses state they could not see a weapon but the male implied he had one in his bag.
- Responding officers secure a perimeter around the building and call for Crisis Negotiators and the Special Weapons and Tactics Team (S.W.A.T. team).
- Officers on the perimeter advise control that the male walked to the door with his hands concealed in his sweatshirt.
- K9 officers arrived and beginning making announcements over the in-vehicle PA system for the male to exit the business.
- S.W.A.T. officers arrive on scene.
- On-scene supervisor establishes Zionsville Incident Command.
- Crisis negotiators and S.W.A.T. operators attempted to persuade the male to put down weapon and exit the business.
- The male fired a shot into the ceiling and pointed the firearm at S.W.A.T. officers while walking around the business screaming.
- For approximately 5 hours officers attempted to negotiate a safe surrender with the male.
- The male then moved closer to the front window, jumped and pointed a firearm at S.W.A.T. officers.
- Officers fired their weapons at the male, striking and effectively disarming him.
- Officers entered the business and the on-scene S.W.A.T. medic began administering immediate medical aid.
- IEMS medics arrived and transported the male to St. Vincent’s Hospital.
- Notifications of OIS sent out to command staff.
- MECA Communications Van, Police Officer Support Team (POST) and Indianapolis-Marion County Forensic Services Agency (Crime Lab) are requested to the scene, per standard operating procedure.
- Detectives respond to the hospital and scene for investigation.
- 1:32 a.m.- Incident command terminated.
- Crime Scene released.