Mugging victim opens fire on suspects; one shot, two flee


Two men are on the loose and a third suspect is in the hospital after an alleged robbery victim fought back.

A woman was approached by three men as she returned home from work in the 3300 block of W. 34th Street around 1 a.m. Friday. The men tried to rob her, but the woman fought back.

"I just heard them saying 'Shut up, be quiet, don't say anything' and the one here had a weapon," said the victim, Crystal.

She confronted the men with her own personal protection from the front seat of her SUV.

"I always come home late at night, but since I went to the grocery store last night, it was even later," she said. "He is the one that grabbed at me and when he did, I just reached and turned around and shot and they ran."

One of Crystal's bullets struck one of her three attackers.

Her father wanted his only daughter to be licensed to carry so she could protect herself.

"Honestly, I mostly carry it because my dad wanted me to. Now I'm glad I listened," Crystal said.

Metro police located and arrested robbery suspect 18-year-old Deon Smith who suffered a gunshot wound to his shoulder. The other men reportedly escaped through a hole in a fence.

"I never thought anything like this in my life would happen," Crystal said.

Although a little shaken up, she hopes her willingness to protect herself sends a strong message to other women about staying alert and defending themselves.

"Learn how to protect yourself if you don't know how. Be more aware. I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings at all," Crystal said.

Police are still looking for the two other suspects. Police found items in the suspects' SUV that match a robbery from earlier in the night at an apartment complex on Watergate Way. In that case, police say suspects hit a woman in the head with the handle of a gun and robbed her.

Police want to find those other two men before they strike again. Call Crime Stoppers at 317-262-TIPS.

Check crime reports near you.