Mother asks why 911 call didn't save daughter's life

Seymour mother looking for answers after daughter's 911 call
Mother asks why 911 call didn't save daughter's life

SEYMOUR, Ind. (WTHR) - A mother has serious questions for police. Her daughter lived alone and Friday morning she died alone. Her mother thinks it shouldn't have happened that way.

"She laid there for hours," said Sharon Elswick. "She never wanted to be alone. That was one of her biggest fears."

Brooke Engleking suffered severe asthma attacks. Brooke's cell phone is a record of the last moments of a young nurse's life.

"My daughter called 911 on Friday morning." Elswick said as she scans her daughter's phone call history.

Jackson County 911 tried repeatedly to talk with the caller, according to officials, but Engleking, 32, couldn't talk.

"She was probably going 'ah ah ah' because I remember from many other times when she would get into these acute attacks she couldn't speak," said Elswick.

Dispatch says 911 tried calling Brooke back but got no answer.

"I don't know that they called back on her phone," Elswick said, looking at her daughter's phone. "It shows no callbacks."

Dispatch then says it sent Seymour police to check on the caller. Brooke's mother says the police chief told her the officers went to the house but got no answer.

"So you came to the door, no one answered," Elswick said. "She didn't answer because she was down. She couldn't get to the door, she couldn't talk."

"They should've broke the door down and they should've came in to check to make sure there was nobody in here in distress," said Elswick.

The 911 director says the dispatch "pinged" Brooks phone, tracing it to her apartment building on Seventh St. The trace took them to apartment number 5. But Brooke actually lived in apartment number 3, which is in a separate building nearby.

Did officers go to the wrong door? Maybe. Experts say a ping is not exact, not like a landline. It can be a couple hundred feet off.

And Brooke's mother says the police chief told her his officers have to check out lots of bogus 911 calls and hangups.

"This wasn't a prank," Elswick said. "My daughter is dead."

Elswick said she wants police to review their procedures. She doesn't want this to happen to any other family.

Filed under: