Mooresville girl takes first steps after contracting flesh-eating bacteria in Florida

Kelei Parker (Photo provided by family)
Girl Walking After Battling Flesh-Eating Bacteria
12-year-old battling flesh eating bacteria
Girl Recovers from Flesh Eating Bacteria
Girl recovers from flesh eating bacteria

MOORESVILLE, Ind. (WTHR) – A Mooresville girl is recovering from a flesh-eating bacteria.

On Tuesday, Kylei Parker took her first steps after contracting the life-threatening infection.

Kylei contracted the infection while on vacation in Florida.

"I knew something was wrong because a doctor doesn't send you home to pack, to go to an E.R," Michelle Brown, Kylei's mom exclaimed.

It's hard to believe, talking on the front porch of their Mooresville home, how close this family had come to losing their little girl.

It all started with a scuffed toe that she dipped into the ocean on vacation a week ago Monday in Destin, Florida.

"Wednesday we woke up to pretty severe pain," Michelle remembered. "She was not able to walk at all. She was in tears trying to get out of bed."

She trusted her motherly instincts, called her pediatrician and headed home.

Her temperature was up to 104.5 and she was rushed into emergency surgery.

"They told us to come home, get clothes and phone chargers and get to Riley ER. So when we left the doctors office after hearing that I started freaking out," she continued.

The flesh eating bacteria had settled in her calf. Doctors worked to remove as much of the infection and start treating it in an attempt to save her leg and her life.

"I just can't do everything I could before," 12-year-old Kylie Parker said.

The majority of Necrotizing Fasciitis cases begin with an existing infection or wound.

It is a serious condition that is often associated with sepsis and organ failure.

In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says one in three people die from necrotizing fasciitis.

Good hygiene and wound care can reduce the chance of developing the disease.

Doctors say Kylei's infection is completely under control now and she has begun physical therapy.

A GoFundMe page has been created to help with medical costs. If you would like to donate, you can do so here.