INDIANAPOLIS — If you're staring at a stack of Christmas cards or a package that needs to be mailed, here are the deadlines you need to mark on your calendar.
The post office said to get cards out by Friday, Dec. 17. If you need stamps, a book of 20 Forever stamps will cost $11.60.
While earlier is always better, the post office's deadline for Retail Ground — which includes packages — is Wednesday, Dec. 15.
The deadlines for Priority Mail is Saturday, Dec. 18 and Priority Express the day before Christmas Eve, Thursday Dec. 23.
To keep the delivery time on track, use a strong packing tape to keep it all closed. If you're sending a picture frame, pop out the glass and wrap that separately inside.
USPS spokesperson Susan Wright said when it comes to a person's address, do not guess the zip code.
"That is our first line of sortation. So if the zip code is incorrect, it's going to go where the zip code is directing it, and it won't be rerouted until the machines realize that the zip doesn't match the city, state and street address," Wright said.
If you're sending a package through UPS, the company suggests customers use the shipping calculator on its website to figure out how long delivery will take.
Keep in mind: Ground shipping can take up to five days. The last day for three-day select is Tuesday, Dec. 21.
As for FedEx, the company is asking that you send Ground Economy packages by Thursday, Dec. 9. Delivery time for those is up to seven days.
The next deadline is regular FedEx Ground, which is Wednesday, Dec. 15. There are quicker services, if you're down to the week of, but those will cost more money.
What other people are reading:
- Investigation of social media profile connected to Delphi murders brings renewed hope to victims' families
- Health departments report shortage of COVID-19 rapid tests
- 6 states, including Indiana, account for half of country's recent COVID-19 hospitalizations
- 3 charged in deadly Missouri duck boat accident have court hearing
- Jury awards Texas family of drunk driving victims $301 billion after suspect was overserved at bar
- Thousands rally behind young CT mom who welcomed miracle son, lost husband the same day
- Sun King closing Broad Ripple tap room
- Snow much fun! Things to do this winter in central Indiana