Breaking News
More () »

Queen of Free: Handling incorrect charges and billing

If you see you've been double-billed or overcharged, Cherie shares how to get it fixed.

INDIANAPOLIS — If you've been double-billed or overcharged, you can just ignore the mistake and move on, or you can address the problem and get it fixed.

On 13Sunrise, Cherie Lowe, the Queen of Free, shared some basic strategies to deal with that awkward moment when you confront the business that made the error, and get them to fix it.

First, you have to find the error, and to do that, you need to pay attention to your receipts. Read them before you leave the store or restaurant. Check you bank account online every day for electronic billing errors. The sooner you address the issue, the better your chances of making it right.

Before you call their 800 number, have the business information and your information handy, including your credit card or bank account information, and the receipt showing the error, which should include a date, time and transaction number or code.

Then, as Cherie wrote in her blog, "Take a deep breath. Remain calm. Smile. You'll communicate more clearly." The customer service person who you ask to fix your problem probably was not the person who caused it, so they are not your adversary. A kind attitude will go a long way toward allowing them to help you.

Write down the names of everybody you talked with, and don't be afraid to ask to speak to a manager. You may need those names if you have to follow up. And don't be afraid to follow up if you don't see the charge reversed on your account within a few days.

And, if the error is more than a few hundred dollars, consider paying for outside help. You can make one call to an attorney to determine if their services will be worth it.

Watch Cherie's full segment from 13Sunrise in the video player.

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out