Man who struck Southport officer sentenced to six years in prison

Man sentenced for striking police officer with car
New details about officer hit at Methodist Hospital
Woman's sting operation ends in officer injury

INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) - An Indianapolis man received the maximum sentence after pleading guilty to Battery by means of a deadly weapon.

Brandon Hayworth was arrested after an incident on a Methodist Hospital parking lot on August 9 where officers were investigating a complaint of a cell phone theft.

Hayworth was driving a car that struck a Southport police officer, then fled the scene.

Hayworth received a six year prison sentence and one year of probation.

A passenger in the car was sentenced to 237 days of probation.


"Catch him, get him arrested, and that's what happened," Walker said.

It would take a sting operation to make that happen, launched not by police but by Walker, a mother of three. But a Southport police officer would end up injured when her targets made a getaway.

"And when it happened I was like ‘I'm so sorry, he was not supposed to get hit’ because I had warned other guards ‘they're going to try to take off’."

It started August 5 when Walker tried to sell a cell phone on the Letgo app, but the buyer apparently didn't want to let go of his cash. When Walker met him at a bank to make the exchange, he took her phone and fled, according to Walker.

"So the app he texted me from, I called him back and I was like you messed with the right woman, by the end of the week you and your boyfriend's going to be in jail."

She then posted a different phone for sale and changed her online identity. "Before you knew it, Monday came and he answered to it," Walker said.

It was the same guy, she said, who stole her phone days before. Walker said he suggested meeting at Methodist Hospital where he was going to see the doctor.

Walker said she asked the man what he would be driving.

“He said a red Buick Regal. I'm like jackpot," Walker said. She said it was the same car the man drove the day he stole her phone.

Walker said she got to Methodist two hours early and warned security guards what was going on.

When Walker got a text from the man that he had arrived at the hospital, she said she told a security officer that the man in the red car had stolen her phone and she wanted him arrested.

"So then they went toward his car,” Walker said. “He starts to pull off. They tell him to halt.”

She said that's when off-duty Southport police department officer Paul McGann approached.

"He tried to take off, he hits the officer and the officer fires," said Walker

In the next few minutes, as suspect Brandon Hayworth runs from police, he allegedly texts Walker again, still wanting to buy her phone. Walker said he had no idea she was actually at the hospital and saw everything go down.

"I'm like ‘are you serious’."

She said she directed Hayworth to 46th and Arlington where police grabbed him.

According to court documents, Hayworth told police he and his passenger Christopher Thompson took off because they both were wanted on warrants.

When asked about the officer who was hit, he allegedly denied knowing that happened, but said he saw the officer standing there before he sped away, and admitted “he probably could have been hit.”

"I just have something to say to the suspect,” Walker said. “I told you I was going to get you, and I got you."

But IMPD Sgt Kendale Adams says such home-cooked sting operations can be very risky.

"Obviously this is an extremely dangerous position to put one's self into, even for police this is an extremely dangerous situation," said Adams. “We would strongly discourage civilians from engaging in this type of activity."

Filed under: