IMS President Doug Boles expresses concern over Ryan Newman's crash at Daytona 500

Ryan Newman is moved to an ambulance after rescue workers removed him from his car after he was involved in a crash on NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race at Daytona International Speedway, Monday, Feb. 17, 2020, in Daytona Beach, Fla. (AP/David Graham)

INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) — Most of Indiana had to be cheering for Hoosier Ryan Newman as he came out of Turn 4 in the Daytona 500, including Indianapolis Motor Speedway President Doug Boles.

"I was rooting for Ryan to win that race," he said. "Even as he was coming out of Turn 4, you are just hoping he can block those guys behind him. It's the Daytona 500. It's what happens and as soon as the car got upside down, it went completely totally silent in my house."

And it's been relatively quiet ever since. Newman crashed in the last lap of this year's race. His injuries are serious but not life-threatening. Boles understands that.

"For as much as that silence was frustrating yesterday, even today, the silence from not knowing what the injuries are is a little bit frightening," he said. "It's an opportunity for family to be around. Opportunity for doctors to assess what is going on."

Boles said he has known Newman for almost his entire racing career after the driver graduated from Purdue University.

In fact, Purdue President Mitch Daniels tweeted about Newman's crash:

"News sounds reassuring but still worried about Ryan Newman '01. Good luck for a full and quick recovery," Daniels wrote.

Boles said the investigation into this accident will be monitored by every racing facility in America.

"It's motorsports. The most important thing for us is can we make the track or the car safer. That is one of the things as we get further away from it, the NASCAR and Daytona folks have a chance to understand what happened and they will pass that on to other tracks, other racing bodies so we can all be better from whatever we learn from this incident," Boles said.

Newman is still listed in serious condition, however, on Tuesday afternoon he was awake and talking with his family and doctors. The extent of his injuries have not been released.