Four arrested in interstate shooting that left two injured in northwest Indiana

(Indiana State Police photo)

UPDATE: State Police say four people have been arrested in connection to an interstate shooting that left two people injured.

Police received a tip that led them to an apartment complex in Gary where four teens were arrested for their involvement in the shooting.

Police also learned that the vehicle that was involved in the shooting had been carjacked, earlier on Friday, in Illinois at gunpoint.

The four males, a Naja Wilder, 18 of Richton Park, Illinois, and three juveniles, a 16-year-old from Pendleton, Indiana, a 17-year-old from Park Forest, Illinois, and a 17-year-old from Illinois were taken into custody without incident.

All were booked at the Lake County Jail in Crown Point and charged with four counts of Attempted Murder and three counts of Criminal Recklessness. Police say additional charges are expected.


GARY, Ind. (WTHR) - State police say three cars were hit and two people were hospitalized when gunfire erupted on a northwest Indiana interstate.

Troopers responding to the scene on Interstate 80/94 around 5:30 p.m. Friday found a gray Kia with multiple bullet holes in the side and two people inside that had been shot. One of the victims was an 11-year-old from Illinois that was sitting in the front seat. A 23-year-old passenger in the backseat was also wounded.

Two other occupants of the Kia were not injured.

(Indiana State Police photo)

As police investigated further, they found a Ford Focus and Subaru Outback that had also been hit by gunfire. Each vehicle had been shot once and neither of the drivers in the vehicles - the only occupants of each - were hit.

Investigators say the Kia was traveling west on the interstate when a dark-colored crossover-type vehicle pulled alongside and someone inside opened fire. The shooting continued as the vehicles traveled west in the left lane and on the shoulder.

Police believe the shooting was targeted and not a random act of road rage.

The shooting victims were taken to a Gary hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The investigation is ongoing.

Filed under: