Florida man severely burned by exploding e-cigarette

Evan Spahlinger was hospitalized when an e-cigarette exploded in his face.
Published:
Updated:

A Naples, Florida man went in for surgery Tuesday afternoon after an e-cigarette exploded in his face Monday morning, burning his face, neck, hands and lungs.

Emergency medics transported Evan Spahlinger from Naples Community Hospital to the Burn Center at Kendall Regional Medical Center Monday. 

Spahlinger was with his sister when she heard an explosion. She found her brother in another room gasping for air so she called 9-1-1.

"She went towards the explosion to find him completely covered in black, what appeared to be soot, throwing up, foaming from the mouth," their mother, Alissa Stefanacci, said.

Read more from WBBH